Thursday 27 October 2011

Teasels in Frost

Oil on Board, 12 x 17 inches

I do like painting frost, probably more so than the rich greens of summer.  The colours are so subtle, much as I love the buzzing life by the river in warmer months. The trickiest part of this painting was doing the backlit Teasels, their dark seed-heads lifting the foreground vegetation from the receding bank.  Each head has a lit halo around it, but lit a little more on the right than the left - awkward little devils, but worth the labour I think.  Without them, the darkest tones in the painting, it wouldn't 'sing' as much, don't you think?
 
This is my last possible offering for the ROI show to be taken to London at 6.30 Friday morning. I've now got to decide which ones of my recent paintings to submit.  I'll have a meeting with myself and make a decision.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment !