Tuesday 5 February 2013

Setting Sun at Duddington


Oil on board, 6 x 8 inches  SOLD

When the snow arrived three of weeks ago, I took time off my decorating and went down to Duddington where the River Welland flows.  It was getting late in the afternoon, but I was determined to paint something en plein air, in front of the subject, having been couped-up for so long.

This little painting already has a chequered past in its very short life.....read on.  I set up to paint the river from the top of a precariously slippery hill, but the light suddenly changed and I decided to up-sticks and move upstream a bit.  I set up the gear with another view of the river, then once more the light changed and the setting sun broke through behind and to the left of me.  I settled finally on this view to capture the last of the light...then realised I had dropped the lens cap of my Nikon camera up at the top of the hill. So, off I trudged up the north face of the Eiger again, knowing there would be no chance of finding it if I left it any later with the fading light and more snow forecast.  I did find it by the fence where I'd originally set up, then scurried back as fast as I could, dressed like a Michelin Man with several layers on against the freezing temperatures.

Finally, with the time already 4 o'clock and the light disappearing very fast, I managed to paint something super fast before it was impossible to carry on.  I was quite pleased with the result, packed up the gear and trudged back to the car, putting the wet painting on top of the roof attached to it's panel holder (yes, some of you are ahead of me now aren't you?) whilst I extricated myself from my backpack and tripod.  I drove off gingerly on the icy, ungritted surface, reaching the A47 after a couple of hundred yards and accelerated away, only to hear something crash on to the road.  I jammed on the brakes, remembering the wet painting. Luckily, no other cars were following and I found the shed cargo in the middle of the normally very busy road.  Amazingly, the painting was hardly damaged, just a little scuff on the top edge and some dirt on the wet paint, but I managed to rescue it on return to the studio and finished off the painting in the warmth.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely painting, I know you've perfectly captured the time of the day here as I just witnessed something similar on my walk this afternoon. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darrell, I'm sure you gets lots of similar views out your way! Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Peter, absolutely fantastic Paintings, again I might add. But my favourites are the snow ones, especially the Road Closed one, amazing. My, you are a fantastic Artist. All the best Peter.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your very effusive compliments Vic - much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. All three paintings are wonderful! I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your show preparatons and to reading your stories.... wishing you no more mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marilyn - there'll be more mishaps I'm sure - I won't tell you what happened at the hospital yesterday...

      Delete

Please leave a comment !