Thursday 19 December 2013

ROI Paint Evening

 Kit, Oil on Board, 16 x 12 inches

Here's my effort from the ROI Paint Evening on Tuesday, where loads of artists were crammed together, painting from three models around the gallery.  There was a remarkable hush in the room right from the word go, punctuated by swishes of brushes being cleaned in the white spirit cans and the odd whispered tones from the spectators milling around, weaving between tripod and easel legs.  I found it a tricky experience, being too far from the model to see any detail in the face.  Hence, my version of Kit took on a rather 'plasticky' look about it, albeit a decent enough likeness, but I promised to post it, so here it is, warts and all. On reflection, I think I would have been better to have painted a full length portrait, showing an overall impression.

Kit himself found it a rather difficult exercise too, periodically dropping off, his eyes taking on a heavier look and his head changing angle! 
 Here's a snap I took at the mid-session break, with my friend David Pilgrim's painting to the left of mine and Haidee Jo Summers a couple of yards in front.
Here's another view to my right showing many more setups scattered about...
and another to my left during the break.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job in the circumstances Peter! Love your photos too, especially the one of me peeping over Trevor Chamberlain's shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my excuse anyway Haidee! Ha ha, I thought you'd like that photo!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment !