Friday 26 September 2014

Eyebrook Sunset

Oil on Canvas 18x26 inches

A very warm, glowy painting, this. I've painted sunsets many times and said before that you have to be careful not to make them too 'twee' and chocolate-boxy. It's difficult not to actually, when you have such a painterly subject like this1

The fun bit with this, of course, is painting the sun itself and trying to portray the intense brightness shining just through the edge of the tree. Everything around the sun takes on a glow and the challenge is to get those colours and tones right.  I particularly like the big shadow cast by the lone tree to the immediate left of the setting sun.  This negative shape was described by painting in the golden tips of the grasses to the left and right of it.  The Hogweed in the foreground wasn't there, but I felt it needed something.

With the heavy focal point of the sun, it would be easy to make the painting rather lop-sided, but the dabbling activity in the water and the two Swans on the bank also added balance to the piece. 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful Peter, I love the golden highlights on the tips of the grasses, just perfect. And the hog weed is the icing on the cake. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Bev - glad you like it and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I love your paintings! Is this one for sale? Do you have giclee prints available for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      Thanks for your kind words about my work! ‘Eyebrook Sunset’ sold back in 2014 I’m afraid. All my available work is on my gallery website, at https://www.peterbarkerfineart.co.uk/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=40
      I don’t generally do giclee prints because they inevitably fade but if you see something you particularly like, I might be able to have a print done, but I would always advise buying an original, because it won’t deteriorate and is much better value for money.
      Look forward to hearing from you.
      Kind regards,
      Peter

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning piece, well done, pleas keep up the good work. very well done, love the tiny details that tell stories, love it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment !