Thursday 24 November 2016

Subdued Light, Lyndon Lane

Oil on Board, 6 x 8 inches SOLD

Just after a rainy, early morning, and there was little in the way of light, but the Autumn colours appear just as spectacular, with close tones of rust. 

The damp road was just as much of a challenge to paint as 'Down to Threeways' with its strong, cast shadows. Here, the look of the wet surface was achieved by paying close attention to the gradating tones and colours. I liked the little bit of detail of the white posts and rails punctuating the verge on the right, too. 

Much of the russety foliage was painted with my 1" decorator's brush, with a few judicious heavily-laden touches with the tip of my favourite old palette knife.

2 comments:

  1. Stunning! I've always been in awe how you can get so much detail from a massive brush on such a small canvas, do you use any medium with this? Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Black Rocks! No medium used, just White Spirit (Mineral Spirits I think you call it), to lubricate the brush a tiny bit. I hold the big brush on the base of the hairs, so I can fan it out as required.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment !